Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Dark Days




My first residence in CDC, Folsom State Prison













July 14, 1985
Folsom Prison Warden Joe Campoy, whose appointment by Gov. George Deukmejian stirred controversy, took sick leave and considered resigning his $59,500-a-year job because of health problems. In March 1984, the state Senate narrowly confirmed Campoy's appointment amid charges that he tolerated sexual harassment of female guards. Campoy had been under continued pressure from critics in the Legislature who noted that Folsom had been hit by a rash of violence including 134 stabbings as of June 1985. Several guards at Folsom also have come under investigation for allegedly falsifying reports and conspiring to commit perjury. This place took me back to medieval times. Granite, filth, and violence everywhere. It’s hard to believe a place like this can still exist in the USA. Viloence, Viloence, and more Violence.

The Good-O’l boy system. Campoy began his career as a Folsom guard 39 years ago. Cheryl Campoy is now a spokeswoman for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. “It’s a Family Affair”













Next Stop DVI Tracy, CA
















Quote from SacB: “DVI was called "Gladiator School" by the inmates. Prisoners there honed their fighting skills, and learned the business of drug dealing. They also learned how to maim or murder with handmade weapons.”






















I won't even comment on this period of my life; with the exception of saying the last part of my term was a turnaround in both custody and an inner awakening. I know there are those of you out there that are saying, "OK, here it comes; another convict found God'. You are wrong! I had a streak of luck at the end of my term. Seems I had learned an invaluable trade while I was at DVI and they need this skill because of the new prison expansion program of the 1990s. I was transferred to California Mens Colony, which at the time was the only facility with the machinery for the expansion.


The Infamous CMC


















After being at CMC for 6 months a change happened. I was sitting with this guy on the yard and he was telling me his thoughts on life and Karma. What he was saying made perfect sense to me so I descided then and there to change my life. First I started to help other inmates with education. I started putting others before myself. Then I stopped hating. I buried all of my hate in one clean sweep. To my surprise, good things started happening to me. My life continued to get better and better.(No! My name is not Earl.) I actually met a beautiful woman and got married while I was still incarcerated. Then tragity hit, with only a couple of years left on my sentence my wife developed a fast moving cancer and died before I could get out. I was devistated. But, I stayed strong, stuck to my new found beliefs, kept moving in the right direction, and kept doing the right things. After many years I was a free man at last. "What am I going to do at 40+ years old..."

No comments:

Post a Comment